800,000+ customers
27 locations
92% recommend us
vacation house in forest
Home Vacation home

Compare and take out your vacation home insurance

As the proud owner of a vacation home, you naturally want it to be properly insured.

Calculate the premium

All-risk coverage.

Rental possible.

Help from our experts.

Your vacation home insurance coverage

Basic Insurance

  • Fire
  • Lightning strike
  • Inbraaj
  • Theft
  • Storm damage
  • Glass coverage
  • Liability
  • Contents
  • Rental
  • Addition/annexation


  • Fire
  • Lightning strike
  • Inbraaj
  • Theft
  • Storm damage
  • Glass coverage
  • Liability
  • Contents
  • Rental
  • Addition/annexation

All about vacation home insurance

As the proud owner of a vacation home, you naturally want it to be properly insured. A vacation home is often unoccupied for long periods of time, as it is only used for short periods of time or during a particular season.

Therefore, it is wise to properly insure a vacation home against, for example, burglary, theft and extreme weather conditions. Do you have a vacation home abroad? Then insurance works a little differently.

At Alpina.nl , we can help you insure your vacation home!

Why insure a holiday home?

A vacation home is a second home for many people. A place to get away from it all and enjoy a change of scenery. A precious possession, where beautiful memories lie. So a vacation home is just as important to insure as a home. Suppose your vacation home is severely damaged by a storm. Not only will you lose a valuable asset, you will also be faced with high financial costs. Consider cleaning up the remains of the home, rebuilding and replacing all the belongings. These costs quickly run into the (tens of) thousands of euros.

What do I need to consider when insuring a holiday home?

Please note that the insurer will impose a number of conditions on the insurance of a holiday home. These are, for example, conditions concerning rental and occupation of the home. For example, during periods of long-term vacancy, limited cover often applies. This means that you are not insured in case of burglary or damage, for example, during this period. Always check this carefully in the insurer's conditions.

Other conditions also apply to renting out a vacation home. These include the number of days per year you rent out the home. Most insurers allow you to rent out a vacation home for a maximum of 6 months per year. This can vary from one insurer to another, so always check the policy conditions. With some insurers, letting is covered under the basic coverage and with others you can take out a separate coverage for this. If you rent out your vacation home more than 300 days per year, you will need to purchase business property insurance.

How do I insure a holiday home?

You can insure a vacation home with buildings insurance. This covers all real estate, such as a built-in kitchen or bathroom. But if a fire breaks out in your vacation home, your household contents may also be damaged. For this you need a separate contents insurance. We call this combination of insurances a home insurance. You can also extend the home insurance with liability insurance, legal assistance insurance and continuous travel insurance. When you take out these insurances together we call this a home insurance package. So you do not have to take out all insurances separately. With a home insurance, you can be sure that your vacation home is fully insured.

A holiday home is of course a different type of home than a normal house. Often, the owner of the holiday home does not live there permanently. In some cases, the house is largely rented out and thus different people live in it throughout the year. A holiday home is vacant more often than a normal house and is often not located in a residential area, which means there is less supervision. All these factors together make insuring a holiday home a bigger risk for an insurer than insuring a house. That is why you cannot insure your holiday home with every insurer. Fortunately, there are still plenty of insurers with whom you can insure your holiday home.

What is covered on a vacation home insurance policy?

What is covered with a building insurance for your holiday home depends on the coverage you choose. With the standard coverage of a building insurance your holiday home is insured against fire, burglary, vandalism and damage caused by weather conditions, such as storm, hail and lightning. If you choose for an all-risk coverage you are also insured for sudden, unforeseen events. This includes for example damage to your holiday home caused by falling, bumping or colliding.

What does it cost to insure a holiday home?

The cost of insuring a holiday home depends on a number of factors:

  • The type of holiday home
  • The construction type of the dwelling
  • The reinstatement value
  • The desired coverage
  • The own risk
  • The residence/region
How can I insure a holiday home abroad?

Insuring a holiday home abroad is somewhat more difficult than when the home is in the Netherlands. Only a few insurers can insure a holiday home abroad. Many insurers limit themselves to the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. If you have a holiday home in another country, you can only approach a limited number of insurers. These are usually insurers who specialise in insuring holiday homes. Sometimes you can take out a policy with an insurer in the country in question.

Directly insure your vacation home through Alpina!

Through Alpina, you can purchase home insurance for your vacation home. You first fill in some personal data and details about your property, in our online comparison tool. In this step you can also indicate what kind of property it is, in this case a vacation home/recreational home. After this you can choose the desired coverage. Then you will get an overview of all insurers who offer insurance suitable for your vacation home. You will not only get an overview of all premiums, but also of the corresponding policy conditions. Take a good look at these as well, as they can sometimes differ greatly from one insurer to another.

Do you still have questions about insuring your vacation home? Then be sure to contact us! We can be reached by phone Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. at 088 - 688 3700. Of course, you can also send us a message via chat, WhatsApp or Messenger. In that case, we will answer your question as soon as possible during office hours.

vacation house in forest

Vacation home insurance at Eerdmans

Alpina brings its vacation home insurance policies to Eerdmans, also part of the Alpina group. Eerdmans has been the specialist in boat insurance and vacation home insurance for more than 50 years.

Clear, transparent & honest advice for more than 110 years

With knowledge of every industry and a lot of know how, we provide clear, transparent & honest advice.
Based on 3343 reviews 92% recommend us.

We pick out the fine print for you

"Comparing insurance almost always pays off. Premiums may have increased or your personal situation may have changed. That's why we recommend comparing your insurance every year."

photo Laura van Maarschalkerweerd

Laura van Maarschalkerweerd - Expert insurance.

More than 10 years of insurance experience

Background expert photo Laura van Maarschalkerweerd
Background image

We can be reached via Chat, Whatsapp, phone or email

Please feel free to contact us if you would like to know more.
We are here Monday to Friday from 08:00 to 18:00.

get in touch