How big is the chance that my moped or scooter will be stolen?
Despite the fact that moped theft rates have decreased slightly in the first half of 2015 compared to the same period in 2014, a total of 6881 mopeds and motorcycles have already been stolen in the first half of 2015. This is evident from figures from the Foundation for Tackling Vehicle Crime (Stichting Aanpak Voertuigcriminaliteit, AVc).
Go directly to
Top 5 theft risks per moped brand
Mopeds of the Piaggo brand are most sought after by moped thieves. Figures show that 1 out of 73 mopeds of this make are stolen. This makes Piaggo the most theft-sensitive moped brand in the Netherlands. Piaggo is an Italian producer of scooters and mopeds that became known with the production of the Vespa scooters. Vespas are generally expensive and bring good business for thieves. Below are the top five theft risks per moped brand.
- Piaggio: 1 in 73
- Tomos: 1 in 127
- Peugeot: 1 in 158
- Kymco: 1 in 182
- Sym: 1 in 204
Where are mopeds stolen most often?
Geographically, by far the most moped thefts take place in the Amsterdam region. In the first half of 2015, no fewer than 1362 mopeds were stolen here.
As prevention is better than cure, we would like to offer you some prevention tips to reduce the risk of theft of your moped or scooter:
- Make sure you have an alarm or anti-theft system on your moped or scooter.
- Always remove the key from the moped when leaving it unattended, even for a short time.
- Where possible, park the moped in a well-lit, guarded car park.
- Attach the scooter 'to the ground' or to special racks.
- Always keep an eye on the keys. Never leave them unattended outside the house in a coat pocket.
- Use only good, certified ART locks of class 3 or higher.
- Install a VbV (Insurance Bureau for Vehicle Crime) certified alarm system or track & trace.
- Have the number plate etched or engraved into plastic parts
- Fit a brake disc and head lock if possible
Should your moped be stolen despite the preventive measures taken, a moped insurance with theft coverage may ease the pain. On our website you can easily and quickly compare moped insurance.
Curious about which moped insurance cover best suits your current situation? And are you curious how much you can save on this? You can easily make a comparison between various moped insurers on the basis of coverage and premiums. That way you will never pay too much!
We can be reached via Chat, Whatsapp, phone or email
Please feel free to contact us if you would like to know more.
We are here Monday to Friday from 08:00 to 18:00.