800,000+ customers
28 branches
92% recommend us
vacation house in forest
Home Vacation home

Comparing and securing your vacation home insurance

As the proud owner of a vacation home, you naturally want it to be properly insured.

Calculate the premium

All-risk coverage.

Rental possible.

Help from our experts.

Your vacation home insurance coverage

Basic Insurance

  • Fire
  • Lightning strike
  • Inbraaj
  • Theft
  • Storm damage
  • Glass coverage
  • Liability
  • Contents
  • Rental
  • Addition/annexation


  • Fire
  • Lightning strike
  • Inbraaj
  • Theft
  • Storm damage
  • Glass coverage
  • Liability
  • Contents
  • Rental
  • Addition/annexation

All about vacation home insurance

Do you own your own vacation home? Then you must properly insure it, just like a residential home, a vacation home. The type of insurance is basically the same.

With buildings insurance, all the real estate in your vacation home is insured against such things as fire, burglary, vandalism and bad weather. A nice idea, because obviously you are not there all year to keep an eye on things.

A vacation home is often unoccupied for long periods of time because it is only used for short periods of time or during a particular season. This is something insurers take into account when purchasing insurance.

Why insure a holiday home?

A vacation home is a second home for many people. Obviously, not as much time is spent there as in a residential home, but it is really a place to enjoy and rest. It is therefore a special place that often holds many fond memories. It is therefore just as important to take out the right insurance for a vacation home as it is for a regular home. When your vacation home is damaged, for example by a fire or storm, you are sometimes faced with high financial costs. Think about cleaning up the remains of the home, rebuilding and replacing all the belongings. These costs can quickly add up to tens of thousands of euros. By insuring the vacation home properly, you can be sure that you will not be faced with unpleasant financial surprises in the event of damage or theft.

What do I need to consider when insuring a holiday home?

You can take out buildings insurance for both a house and a holiday home, but there are a number of differences. An insurer will set a number of conditions to insure a holiday home. These conditions concern, for example, the occupation of the home and possible rental. During periods of prolonged vacancy, limited cover often applies. This means that you are not insured in case of burglary or damage during that period. Always check this carefully in the conditions of the insurer.

Other conditions also apply to renting out a vacation home. These include the number of days per year you rent out the home. Most insurers allow you to rent out a vacation home for a maximum of 6 months per year. This can vary from one insurer to another, so always check the policy conditions. With some insurers, letting is covered under the basic coverage and with others you can take out a separate coverage for this. If you rent out your vacation home more than 300 days per year, you will need to purchase business property insurance.

How do I insure a holiday home?

You insure your vacation home with buildings insurance and possibly contents insurance. With buildings insurance, all real estate is covered in case of damage or theft. Think for example of a built-in kitchen or bathroom. With contents insurance, all movable, moveable items are also insured. Of course, if a fire breaks out in the home, your contents can also be seriously damaged. Therefore, it may be wise to take out both buildings and contents insurance. This combination of insurances is also known as home insurance. In addition, you can also extend the home insurance with liability insurance, legal assistance insurance and continuous travel insurance. When you take out these insurances together we call this a home insurance package. So you do not have to take out all insurances separately. With a home insurance, you can be sure that your vacation home is fully insured.

What is covered?

You can choose two different coverages when insuring your vacation home. What is covered depends on the coverage you choose. With standard coverage, your vacation home is insured for fire, burglary, vandalism and damage due to weather conditions, such as storm, hail and lightning. If you choose all-risk coverage, you are also insured for sudden, unforeseen events. This includes, for example, damage to your vacation home due to falling, bumping or collision.

What does it cost to insure a holiday home?

The cost of insuring a holiday home depends on a number of factors:

  • The type of holiday home
  • The construction type of the dwelling
  • The reinstatement value
  • The desired coverage
  • The own risk
  • The residence/region

When calculating the costs, insurers look at these factors to determine the premium. A holiday home is of course a different type of home than a normal house. Often the owner of the holiday home does not live there permanently. In some cases, the house is largely rented out and thus different people live in it throughout the year. In addition, a holiday home is more often vacant than a normal house and is often not located in a residential area, so that there is less supervision. All these factors together make insuring a holiday home a bigger risk for an insurer than insuring a house. That is why you cannot insure your holiday home with every insurer. Fortunately, there are still plenty of insurers with whom you can insure your holiday home.

How can I insure a holiday home abroad?

Of course, the weather is not always good in the Netherlands. That is why there are plenty of people who buy a holiday home abroad, preferably in a country where it is sunny and dry more often. Keep in mind that insuring a holiday home abroad is often more difficult than when the home is in the Netherlands. Many insurers limit themselves to insuring holiday homes in the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. If you have a holiday home in another country, you can only approach a limited number of insurers. These are usually insurers who specialise in insuring holiday homes. Sometimes, however, you can take out insurance with an insurer in the country in question.

Directly insure your vacation rental through Alpina!

Insure your vacation home? At Alpina.nl you can easily calculate the premium for your home contents insurance. You can do this with our online comparison tool. You first enter a number of details about your home. Hereby you indicate directly what type of home it concerns. For example, the tool distinguishes between a residential home and a recreational home. Then you can choose the desired coverage for your insurance. Then you will get an overview of all insurers, including the corresponding premiums and conditions. This way you can easily choose the right insurance.

Do you still have questions about insuring your vacation home? Then be sure to contact us! We can be reached by phone Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. at 088 - 688 3700. Of course, you can also send us a message via chat, WhatsApp or Messenger. In that case, we will answer your question as soon as possible during office hours.

vacation house in forest

Vacation home insurance at Eerdmans

Alpina brings its vacation home insurance policies to Eerdmans, also part of the Alpina group. Eerdmans has been the specialist in boat insurance and vacation home insurance for more than 50 years.

Clear, transparent & honest advice for more than 110 years

With knowledge of every industry and a lot of know how, we provide clear, transparent & honest advice.
Based on 3343 reviews 92% recommend us.

We pick out the fine print for you

"Comparing insurance almost always pays off. Premiums may have increased or your personal situation may have changed. That's why we recommend comparing your insurance every year."

photo Laura van Maarschalkerweerd

Laura van Maarschalkerweerd - Expert insurance.

More than 10 years of insurance experience

Background expert photo Laura van Maarschalkerweerd
Background image

We can be reached via Chat, Whatsapp, phone or email

Please feel free to contact us if you would like to know more.
We are here Monday to Friday from 08:00 to 18:00.

get in touch