800,000+ customers
92% recommend us
28 branches

When do you need a Sailing Licence 2?

Do you already have Boating License 1? Then you might be wondering if it is also necessary to get Sailing License 2. Or maybe you don't have a boating license yet and you want to know which license you need and when. Which license you need depends on the area you want to sail. Would you like to sail on the inland waters of the Netherlands, such as rivers, canals and small lakes? Then Sailing License 1 is sufficient. Do you also like to sail on larger lakes or at sea? Then you need sailing license 2. At Alpina.nl we are happy to explain it to you. You can also calculate the premium for boat insurance directly with us!

Boat insurance? Calculate your premium!

When to get a sailing licence 2

Where can you sail with Sailing Licence 2?

The boating license is also known as a Small Boating License. It is always followed by an I or II. This number refers to the Dutch sailing areas where you may sail with that license. Sailing license 2 is actually Sailing license 1 and 2 together. So you may not only sail on rivers, canals and lakes, but also on larger waters and coastal waters. These are larger lakes and the sea, such as the Wadden Sea, IJsselmeer, Markermeer, IJmeer and the Oosterschelde and Westerschelde. An exception is the Gouwzee, which is part of the Markermeer. There you may sail with only Permit 1.

Boat insurance? Calculate your premium!

What is the difference between Boating Licence 2 and Boating Licence 1?

The difference between Sailing License 1 and Sailing License 2 is in the area where you are allowed to sail. Sailing License 1 allows you to sail on rivers, canals and small lakes. License 2 allows you to sail on larger waters and coastal waters. These are larger lakes and the sea, such as the Wadden Sea, IJsselmeer, Markermeer, IJmeer and the Oosterschelde and Westerschelde. Before you can get Sailing License 2, you must first have Sailing License 1. It is also possible to get both License 1 and 2 at the same time. You cannot skip sailing license 1 to get your license 2 immediately.

Obtaining a sailing licence 2

You can get Sailing License 2 if you already have Sailing License 1, or if you take both exams at the same time. To get your boating license 2, you have to pass the KVB1 and KVB2 exams. You may choose to take both exams consecutively, or to take KVB1 first and then KVB2. You do not receive a boating license 2 until you pass both exams. Do you only pass KVB2? Then you cannot apply for a Permit 2 yet. Do you only pass KVB1? Then you can possibly already apply for boat license 1.

What does Sailing Licence 2 cost?

The cost, of course, depends on how you obtain Boating License 2. Do you follow a day course? Then this often costs about €150,-. A video course is slightly cheaper, about €100,-. Furthermore, you should take into account the following costs:

Section Tariffs 2021
Training/course €100/€150
Theory book €20
KVB1 €44,45
KVB2 €52,90
Sailing licence 2 €10,60

Frequently asked questions about Boating Licence 2

Is it difficult to get a Sailing Licence 2?

Many people wonder if getting Boating License 2 is difficult. This varies from person to person. If you already have Boating License 1, you obviously already have some of the knowledge. In addition, there are different types of learning materials, such as a day course or video course. You can choose which way of learning suits you best.

How long is Sailing Licence 2 valid?

Once you obtain a boating license, it is valid for your entire life. The renewal of the Small and Large Sailing License has been abolished as of July 1, 2014.

Can I obtain Sailing Licence 2 without Sailing Licence 1?

No, you must pass Sailing License 1 before you can pass Sailing License 2. However, you can take both exams at the same time. If you pass both, you will be awarded Sailing License 2 immediately.

Examination for Boat Licence 2

So to pass Boating License 2, you must successfully pass both the KVB1 and KVB2 exams. You don't have to do a practical exam for this, only a theory exam. You can apply for this exam on the CBR website and take it at a location near you. Don't forget to bring valid identification to the exam.

There is no minimum age for passing the exam. If you pass the exam but are not yet 18 years old, you will receive a result letter. You can exchange this letter for a sailing licence when you turn 18. Until then, you may not drive a boat or sail in an area where a boating licence is required.

Apply for a sailing licence 2

If you have passed the Small Boating License II exam, you can apply for the license through the CBR website. To do so, follow the following steps:

  1. Go to the CBR website and log on to My CBR
  2. Click on the All Tasks tab or on the button Something else
  3. Click (under Recreational boating) on Health certificate recreational boating
  4. You follow all further steps as indicated
  5. Click (under 'Recreational boating') on ' Apply for a sailing licence
  6. Click on First boat licence application
  7. Click onStart
  8. You choose the pass with the most authority (to which you are entitled)
  9. You follow all further steps as indicated

Once you pay, CBR will send the boating license to you within two weeks.

Boating Licence 2 abroad

To sail abroad, you need an ICC. ICC stands for International Certificate of Competency. It is a translation of the sailing license into English. All boating licenses that are newly issued automatically also get an ICC. Sailing License 2 has an ICC for inland and coastal waters in English. If you only have Sailing License 1, this is called ICC for inland waters. When taking a boat abroad, it is important to check in advance what the rules are concerning the license in that country. This can vary from country to country.

Calculate your boat insurance premium right away!

We can be reached via Chat, Whatsapp, phone or email

Please feel free to contact us if you would like to know more.
We are here Monday to Friday from 08:00 to 18:00.

get in touch