800,000+ customers
92% recommend us
28 branches
Home Home contents insurance without a cohabitation contract

Contents insurance when living together without a cohabitation contract?

When you start living together, two household effects are often combined. The TV of one and the bed of the other. The value of the total belongings will probably go up. Are you going to living together without a cohabitation contract? Even then you can take out contents insurance. You and your partner only have to be registered at the same address. You can then cancel one home contents insurance policy if both of you are covered. Make sure that the insurance that is taken out covers the (new) household effects. Always check the policy conditions!

Content insurance without cohabitation contract

Which home insurance policy is best to cancel if you are both insured?

In almost all cases, cancelling a household insurance policy is cheaper than keeping both. Increasing the premium for extra cover for one of the two insurances is usually cheaper than having two home contents insurances.

Contract contents insurance? Calculate your premium!

How do you decide which contents insurance to cancel? The insurer uses a rule of thumb: the shortest running insurance can be cancelled. If you ask for it, it is often also possible to cancel the longest running insurance. This does not have to be the case. An insurance company does not have to agree to this.

When cancelling, always compare the prices of your insurances with those of other insurances. In order to be as inexpensive as possible, you should of course choose the cheapest. Did you choose the cheapest? Then check the policy conditions carefully. It is possible that you will get less coverage than you need.

It is also important to check in which cases your insurer pays out. That way, you will know where you stand.

Taking out contents insurance for cohabitation without a cohabitation contract: how to proceed?

Taking out household contents insurance is easy and quick. Below is a step-by-step description of what you need to do.

Step 1: Calculate the value of your combined household effects

This way, you can determine the amount for which you need to take out insurance. For this you can use a 'household value meter'. Here you fill in all the required data. This will result in a number of points. On the basis of these points, the value of the contents is calculated.

Step 2: Choose an insurer

Take a close look at different insurers. Look at the level of the premium, the risks they are willing to cover and the content of the policy conditions. Do you both already have insurance? Then decide whether one of the two insurances should be cancelled. You can then choose to keep one. Of course it is also possible to cancel both insurances and take out a new home contents insurance.

Step 3: Take out your insurance

When you have chosen the right insurance, it is time to take it out. To do so, enter your details with the insurer concerned. This can often be done easily online. It is often also possible to make a personal appointment with your insurer.

Step 4: Go and enjoy carefree!

Now that you are finally insured, you can enjoy your new home (including its contents!) without any worries. Knowing that everything is well taken care of by a specialised insurer when something breaks down.

Calculate the premium for your household insurance directly

High package discount possible

Never underinsured

Put together your own package

A wide range

We compare all insurers for you, saves time again

Help from our experts

Can't figure it out? Our experts are always ready to help you

We can be reached via Chat, Whatsapp, phone or email

Please feel free to contact us if you would like to know more.
We are here Monday to Friday from 08:00 to 18:00.

get in touch