A dog is never grumpy, always happy to see you and is a source of support for many people. A dog is really part of the family. Dogs are also very enthusiastic and often eat everything they can. Not only their kibble, but also a sock, rubber band or piece of chocolate that is lying around. Of course, this can also cause them to get sick or injured. To avoid having to pay the full amount for medical treatment, you can take out dog insurance.
What does dog insurance cost?
The costs of a dog insurance depend on a number of factors. The amount of the premium is calculated on the basis of these factors.
- Your dog's weight
- The age of your dog
- The breed or cross of your dog
- Possible additional coverages
Age is an important factor in determining premium. Insurers also apply a maximum age up to which you can insure your dog. Most insurers do this up to the age of 7, some up to the age of 5. Always check the policy conditions for this. In addition, most insurers increase the premium slightly each year. This is due to the aging surcharge. The older an animal gets, the higher the risk of disease. That is why insurers recalculate the premium every year.
What is the best dog insurance?
Are you looking for the best pet insurance for your faithful companion? You choose which dog insurance best suits your needs. What is the best pet insurance for the neighbour's dog does not have to be the same for you and your dog. In order to determine the best dog insurance for you, you can compare insurances with each other. In doing so, you should not only look at the premium, but also at the insurance coverage. Is the basic coverage sufficient for you or do you need additional insurances? Is your dog a real pugilist? Then the additional coverage physiotherapy may be a useful addition. By looking in this way, you will automatically find the best insurance for your dog.
Which dog insurances are there?
With most insurers, the dog insurance consists of the basic package, and you can decide for yourself whether you want to take out additional insurances. For example, you can include physiotherapy, behavioural therapy, radiotherapy and dental expenses in your insurance. With some insurers, you can also insure the sterilisation or castration of your dog and sometimes even the required vaccinations. Travel cover or cremation cover is also an option. In other words, you can compile your dog insurance policy exactly as you want it.
Would you like to know which providers offer dog insurance? Calculate the premium and see which providers meet your needs.
What is the cheapest dog insurance?
Food, a basket, a leash, toys... Having a dog involves a lot of costs. No wonder you like to save on insurance. However, it is wise not to go for the cheapest dog insurance, but also to look carefully at the coverage. This does not mean that you have to buy very expensive insurance right away! Perhaps the cheapest dog insurance policy still has the best coverage for you. On Alpina.nl you can compare different providers. Your financial situation also plays an important role. Do you have a good buffer for unexpected expenses? Then the basic coverage may be sufficient for you. This will also save you money.
Compare dog insurance
Comparing dog insurance is an important part of the insurance process. Fortunately, you don't have to look up premiums and policy terms yourself. At Alpina.nl we have created an easy online tool for this. All you have to do is fill in some information about yourself and your dog, and then the comparison can begin. After this, you will get a clear overview of all insurance policies that meet your needs, including corresponding premiums and policy conditions. Once you have found the best dog insurance policy at the lowest premium, you can purchase it directly online.
In their enthusiasm, dogs can easily run into something and injure themselves. They are also quite territorial and some dogs tend to fight with other dogs. In the most serious case, the dog has to be operated immediately, which, unfortunately, is not cheap. That is why a dog insurance can offer a solution.
If you have any questions about (dog) insurance, you can always ask us. You can reach our insurance specialists by phone from Monday to Friday from 08.00 to 18.00 on 088 - 6883700. Of course you can also send us a message via chat, WhatsApp or Messenger.
Frequently asked questions about reimbursements and claims
The moment from which you can claim depends on the waiting period. From the commencement date of the insurance, a waiting period of 30 days applies for illness.
You can declare in 2 ways and it is always free of charge: online or by mail. The advantage of online claims is that the insurer receives your claim sooner, so that they can process it faster and you receive your money sooner.
As of 1 January 2015, it is compulsory to report your regular veterinary clinic or practice to the insurer.
You have free choice of veterinarian. So you decide which vet you like. However, before you submit your (first) claim, you are obliged to inform the insurer of your regular vet clinic. Do you subsequently incur costs at another clinic? Then these will in principle also be reimbursed, unless it concerns a second opinion.
You can opt for a higher voluntary excess. This means that when you submit a claim to the insurer, the voluntary excess is deducted first. The advantage of this is that you can reduce your monthly premium, and you are covered in case you have to incur high costs for your pet.
You can opt for a voluntary excess of € 100 or € 250 per year. You will then receive a discount of 15% or 25% on your premium.
Please note: if you opt for a voluntary excess, this will apply for one year. Only after one year can you change or terminate it.
When you submit a claim, your personal contribution is determined for each treatment. The personal contribution differs per package:
- Basic package:
you pay a personal contribution of 20%. For consultation, diagnostics and special treatments (such as hip and elbow treatments and physiotherapy) you pay a personal contribution of 50%.
- Plus package:
you pay a personal contribution of 20%. For consultation, diagnostics and special treatments (such as hip and elbow treatments and physiotherapy) you pay a personal contribution of 25%. For medicines of alternative care, for teeth and for intensive and extra care, you pay a personal contribution of 50%.
- Total package:
you pay an own contribution of 20%.
- Accident package:
you pay an own contribution of 20%.
The personal contribution will be deducted from your claim.
Frequently asked questions about dog insurance
You can take out a dog insurance policy for dogs up to 7 years old. The age of the animal is taken into account when taking out or renewing insurance. The older the animal, the higher the insurance premium because the risk of diseases and accidents increases.
You take out insurance for a year. Thereafter, it can be cancelled monthly.
Just as with people, the health costs of pets are lower when they are young than when they get older. That is why the premium of a puppy is lower than the premium of a dog of, for example, 7 years old. The exact annual increase depends on (the breed) and the actual age of the animal.
Yes, you can change to a more comprehensive package. You can do this on the annual premium due date (the policy anniversary).
A waiting period applies to dog insurance. Complaints that have arisen before or during this waiting period will not be reimbursed. Any follow-up costs of an illness, disorder or accident occurring before or during the waiting period will also not be eligible for reimbursement.
How long is the waiting period?
- For care required after an accident, a waiting period of 48 hours applies.
- A waiting period of 30 days applies to diseases and disorders.
In all packages, the insertion of the chip is reimbursed in the waiting period.
The dog insurance starts - after acceptance - on the day the application is received by the insurer.
After the effective date there is a 14-day trial period. Within these 14 days, the pet insurance may be cancelled in writing without stating any reasons. This does not apply if a claim has already been submitted.
From the starting date onwards, a waiting period of 30 days applies for illness.
You can terminate your insurance with a notice period of one month. This is possible on a monthly basis once your policy has run for one year or in special cases, for example if your pet has died.
Frequently asked questions about dog insurance
The choice is of course yours, but pet insurance provides financial security for unexpected medical costs for your pet. An operation or long-term treatment can easily cost around €1,000. If you do not have this money in hand, pet insurance can help.
All animal breeds are welcome. However, there are restrictions for some dog breeds. For these breeds, the breed standard includes (hereditary) breed characteristics that give rise to (many) additional sickness costs. Disease costs related to these abnormalities are excluded through a breed clause and can therefore not be reimbursed.
- (Old) English Bulldog: Standard exclusion of all respiratory diseases (including throat and nose).
- French Bulldog: Standard exclusion of all respiratory diseases (including throat and nose).
- Cavalier King Charles: Standard exclusion of all neurological disorders including brain and spinal cord.
- Reimbursement up to €3000 per year.
- For an accessible premium, the certainty of good coverage in case of unexpectedly high costs
- Including: consultation, diagnostics, special treatments (physiotherapy, behavioural therapy, hips & elbows), operations (including anaesthesia), placing identification chip, medicines (including chronic/long-term treatments) and euthanasia
- Your personal contribution is always 20%. For consultations, diagnostics and special treatments you pay 50% co-payment.
- Reimbursement up to € 4,000 per year.
- Comprehensive package with a good price-quality ratio. For those who want to be insured for specialist care such as an MRI scan or dental treatment.
- Contains all reimbursements from the Basic Package.
- Also includes: dental care (such as tartar removal, tooth extraction), intensive care (such as MRI, CT scan and aids), and extra care (such as Animal ambulance, European medical expenses, care of pet when owner stays in hospital, admission and nursing for more than 7 days).
- Your personal contribution is always 20%. For consultation, diagnostics and special treatments, you pay a 25% personal contribution. For medication of alternative care, dental care, intensive care and extra care, you pay 50% personal contribution.
- Reimbursement up to €5,000 per year.
- Enjoyment without worries. The most complete package with the highest compensation.
- Contains all reimbursements from the Basic and Plus Packages.
- Your own contribution is always 20%.
- Compensation up to €2,000 per year
- The entry-level package with reimbursement for care required after an accident.
- This package only provides cover for a verifiable accident, i.e. road traffic accident, bone fracture, ingestion of a foreign object, toxic gases, poisoned food, bite wounds, fire or flood.
- The insurer will reimburse 80% of the above costs. In addition, you will receive an advertising budget of EUR 250. The waiting period is 48 hours for accidents.
You can choose from 4 packages:
- Basic package
- Plus package
- Total package
- Accident package
The Accident package has a more limited cover than the other three packages. In this package, health costs are only covered in case of a demonstrable accident: a traffic accident, bone fracture, ingestion of a foreign object, toxic gases, poisoned food, bite wounds, fire or flood.
In addition to the four main packages, you can choose from 4 optional additional insurances:
- Chemo- and radiotherapy (cancer treatment)
- Cremation of a deceased pet
- Continuous Travel Insurance World Coverage
The supplementary insurances can be taken out in combination with one of the 3 main packages (Basic, Plus or Total Package). The Sterilisation/Castration insurance can only be taken out in combination with a Plus or Total package.
Yes, identification and registration of insured pets is mandatory. Most insurers only accept claims that include a chip number. The costs of placing the chip are reimbursed by the insurer.
No, the insurer will not reimburse the costs if your dog is not microchipped. Only claims that are provided with a chip number are accepted. Please therefore ensure that your dog is microchipped before you submit your first claim and that the insurer is aware of the chip number.
Yes, you can insure your pet even if it does not have a chip. You must, however, ensure that the animal is microchipped before submitting a claim.
We can imagine that during the emotional time of your cat's death, you do not immediately think about the insurance. Fortunately, it is possible to stop the insurance with retroactive effect. What is the procedure?
- Not later than 30 days after the death of your animal, notify the insurer of the request for termination.
- Include a death certificate from the veterinarian.
- After this notification and receipt of the death certificate, the insurer shall terminate the insurance one day after the death of the pet.
- Any premium paid in excess will of course be refunded.
Customers about Alpina
Based on 3277 reviews
We can be reached via Chat, Whatsapp, phone or email
Feel free to contact us if you want to know more.
We are here today until 18:00