Good news for Holland, good news for you!

Can I suspend a moped forever?

Are you planning not to use your moped for a while, for example due to worse weather or an extended stay abroad? Then we recommend that you suspend your moped. This will save you on the cost of road tax and moped insurance, among other things. You can suspend your moped for 1, 2 or 3 years. But what if you are no longer going to use the moped, but would still like to keep it? Can you suspend a moped forever? You can read about it at

Take out moped insurance? Calculate your premium!

moped suspension for life

Suspend moped: what is that exactly?

Suspending a moped means that you suspend the vehicle' s registration number. As soon as the moped is suspended, you are no longer obliged to have an MOT, you do not have to pay road tax and you no longer have to take out third-party insurance. There are various reasons for suspending a moped, for example because you are not using it during the winter months, because you are going abroad for a longer period of time or because you are physically unable to use the moped for a while. You can determine the duration of the suspension period yourself: 1, 2 or 3 years. As soon as you request the suspension, it will take effect immediately. You cannot suspend your moped now and have the suspension take effect in a few months' time. When the suspension period expires, you must immediately fulfil the obligations of a licence plate holder again.

Take out moped insurance? Calculate your premium!

Suspending a moped forever is not possible

Unfortunately, it is not possible to permanently suspend a moped. Has the suspension period ended and do you not want to use the moped again? Then you can extend the suspension period. If you no longer want to have the registration number in your name, there are two options: scrap the moped or sell it. In both cases, you do not keep the moped. If you want to keep the moped yourself, but do not want to ride it, you will have to continue to extend the suspension. You can suspend the moped for 3 years and at the end of 3 years, you can extend the suspension period again. This way, you will no longer have to meet the vehicle requirements.


Terminate moped registration

In a number of cases, you can terminate the registration of the vehicle registration. This is possible in the following situations:

  • If you are going to use your moped in education, for example at a school, driving school or fire brigade
  • If you are going to use your moped for motocross
  • If you are only going to use your moped for business activities. This is only allowed on your own company premises
  • If you are going to use your moped as a museum vehicle

In these cases, your registration in the RDW registration register will be terminated and the ascription will be declared expired. You can also terminate the registration if you have your moped scrapped. This can be done as soon as the moped is actually scrapped.

Calculate the premium for a moped insurance directly!

Now with free recovery service
  • To calculate premiums, we need the zip code of the primary driver. For private use, the youngest driver must reside at the same address as the applicant. In case of business use, you can enter the postal code of the company here.

We can be reached via Chat, Whatsapp, phone or email

Please feel free to contact us if you would like to know more.
We are here Monday to Friday from 08:00 to 18:00.

get in touch