800,000+ customers
27 locations
92% recommend us

What is tenant interest?

When you rent a property, you may make changes to the house yourself. Think for example of the bathroom or the kitchen. Or a parquet floor that you have glued down (so no click laminate). These kinds of improvements are called tenant's interest. This also includes improvements to the house that the previous occupant has made and that you have taken over against payment. The owner of your home has not insured these things, so it is advisable to arrange this yourself.

Contract contents insurance? Calculate the premium!

tenant's interest

What is covered by the tenant's interest?

Tenant's interest may include, for example:

  • Bathroom
  • Kitchen
  • Solar panels
  • Fence
  • Shed
  • Central heating system
  • A glued floor

Contract contents insurance? Calculate the premium!

How to insure tenant's interest in a home contents insurance policy?

You can include the improvements you have made to your rented property in your household contents insurance. Most home contents insurances include the tenant's interest in the standard coverage and include a maximum amount. This can be up to 10% of the value of the contents. Make sure when you take out the insurance that this amount is sufficient for your household effects. Do you live in rented accommodation and have already taken out household effects insurance? Then please check whether the tenant's interest is sufficient for you. If this is not the case, you can always contact your insurer to increase the tenant's interest.

What about the tenant's interest if I move to a private home?

If you live in rented accommodation for a longer period of time, there is a good chance that you will change or adapt something to the accommodation. You cannot simply take these changes with you when you move. Normally these things are covered by the building insurance, but as a tenant of rented accommodation you do not have to take out building insurance yourself. This is the landlord's responsibility.

The changes you make to the house are your own investment and not the landlord's. That is why it is important to insure them properly. That is why it is important to insure this properly. After all, it is also your responsibility when you move house. Often a house has to be returned to its original state, unless the new landlord wants to take over certain things. If this is not the case, the costs of restoring the property to its original state are at your own expense,

Take out contents insurance directly on Alpina.nl

Make sure you are properly insured in your rental property and purchase contents insurance right away at Alpina.nl! With our handy comparison tool you can first compare different home contents insurances. The policy conditions state up to what amount tenant's interest is co-insured with the insurer concerned. This way you can be sure that you are making the right choice. Once you have found the right home contents insurance you can take out the insurance directly online.

See also our Frequently Asked Questions on household insurance.

Read also:

Customers about Alpina

klantenvertellenMade possible by klantenvertellen.nl
See all reviews
Average score
Based on 3343 reviews

Calculate online the premium for a contents insurance!

Now with free recovery service

We can be reached via Chat, Whatsapp, phone or email

Please feel free to contact us if you would like to know more.
We are here Monday to Friday from 08:00 to 18:00.

get in touch