800,000+ customers
14-day cooling-off period
98% recommend us
Calculate premium
Home Car Insurance What is a warrant?

What is a certificate of indemnity?

A release certificate is a document proving that the registration number of a sold vehicle is no longer in your name. You receive this certificate when you sell the vehicle.

Read all about the new registration certificatehere .

As long as the registration of a license plate has not been transferred to a new owner, the seller remains liable for road tax, car insurance, MOT and any fines. It is therefore important to ALWAYS make sure that you receive the indemnification certificate when selling. It is too common for the buying party to indicate that they will send it later. However, this does not always happen, leaving the old owner thinking they have sold the vehicle while it is still in their name with all the obligations and consequences that entails.

Cost of car release certificate

Suspension involves costs. Suspension costs €71.50 per year for most vehicles. For some special categories of vehicles the cost is € 23.90 per vehicle per year.

The suspension fee for mopeds is €10.50. If you want to renew a suspension, the cost for the second year is €23.90. This fee is the same for all vehicles except mopeds. If you lift a suspension of a vehicle and want to suspend the same vehicle again within a year, the cost is € 119.00.

The rate for re-suspension within one year for special categories of vehicles is €23.90. The suspension rate of €23.90 applies to:
. vehicles of 15 years and older
. motorcycles
. commercial vehicles with a maximum authorized mass exceeding 3500 kg .
. trailers and semi-trailers with a maximum authorized mass exceeding 750 kg.

I've lost my release certificate, what do I do now?

If you do not have a release certificate, it is possible to request a printout from the RDW. This can also be done online with your DigiD. This also shows when you have transferred the vehicle. Look for more information.

Termination of car insurance after release

The car insurance company will not be notified automatically. You must notify your insurer or agent yourself that the vehicle has been sold.

Cancellation of road tax

This does happen automatically. After the transfer, you are no longer an owner for the Tax Department and no longer have to pay road tax.

Cancelling MOT inspections

The MOT inspection remains mandatory for the vehicle but because you are no longer the owner, you will no longer receive a reminder from the RDW.

Compare your car insurance premiums online!

  • Voor een berekening van de premies hebben we de postcode van de hoofdbestuurder nodig. Bij particulier gebruik dient de jongste bestuurder woonachtig te zijn op het zelfde adres als de aanvrager. Bij zakelijk gebruik kunt u hier de postcode van het bedrijf invullen.

We can be reached via Chat, Whatsapp, phone or email

Please feel free to contact us if you would like to know more.
We are available from Monday to Friday from 08:00 to 18:00.

Contact us