Good news for Holland, good news for you!

two men fill out a form after a car accident

What to do in a car accident?

If you are involved in a car accident, it is important to know what to do. Whether you are personally responsible for an accident, or not, there are a number of steps you should take when you are in an accident.

Fortunately, you can fall back on your car insurance to handle the claim. here we explain what to do in a car accident.

14-day cooling-off period.

A wide range.

Help from our experts.

Clear, transparent & honest advice for more than 110 years

For more than 800,000 clients, we provide clear, transparent & honest advice.
Based on 3696 reviews 93% recommend us.

We pick out the fine print for you

"Comparing car insurance almost always pays off. Premiums may have increased or your personal situation may have changed. That's why we recommend comparing your car insurance every year."

LinkedIn logo
photo Laura van Maarschalkerweerd

Laura - Expert auto insurance

Expert car insurance for years

Background expert photo Laura van Maarschalkerweerd
Background image

Been in a car accident: now what?

Here are some important tips on what to do in the event of a car accident

  • Stay calm and get yourself and any others involved to safety.
  • Do not just move injured persons. Call 112 for ambulance or police. (If light eye damage, this is not necessary in the Netherlands)
  • Fill out the claim form immediately with those involved. Do not leave the scene of the accident without leaving data. This is punishable!
  • Take the vehicles to a safe place, if possible. If the road is not blocked, it is better to leave the vehicles.
  • Do you want to move the car? Make sure you take as many good pictures as possible of the situation and damage.
  • Use the warning triangle to warn other road users.
  • Are there any witnesses? Write down their details.
  • Contact us or the insurer immediately

What to do in a car accident abroad?

What should you do if you get into a car accident abroad ? You then have to deal with the laws and traffic regulations of that country. This can mean that a claim for damages has to be filed in a different way than in the Netherlands. Perhaps the other party is liable for the collision under Dutch law, but not abroad due to different priority rules. In addition, the settlement may also differ from country to country.

Representative insurer how does it act?

To quickly settle damages after a car accident, there is a legal regulation within the EU. Each insurance company must have a representative abroad with whom you can further settle the claim once you are home. This regulation applies in the countries in the EU, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland. At the Dutch Motor Insurers Bureau you can see who the Dutch representative of the EU insurance company is. You can contact this representative for claim settlement in case of damage.

Car accident with cyclist or pedestrian: who is liable?

In the event of an accident, liability must normally first be proven. However, the law states that a driver of a motor vehicle is always liable, unless he can prove force majeure. When the driver of a car, motorbike or moped hits a pedestrian or cyclist, you are liable. This does not always mean that you are guilty, but cyclists and pedestrians are much more vulnerable in traffic. They have a greater chance of serious injury and are therefore protected.

Fill out claim form after a car accident

The claim form should be in the glove box of your car. If it is not, it is best to make sure it is there. Not having the claim form handy in an accident can be problematic. If you no longer have a claim form, request a new one from your insurer or your agent. You can also download a claim form from our site.

In addition, filling out a claim form correctly is very important. This will ensure that the claim settlement can proceed smoothly. Therefore, always make sure that you send the front and back complete and signed to your insurance company or insurance intermediary. We have made a video that explains step by step how to fill out a claim form.

people in the office

Recovery service

Alpina works together with to recover non-covered damage from the other party or the guarantee fund. Has someone caused damage to you but you have no coverage on your own policy, then can help you recover your damage from the other party completely free of charge.


Woman on phone

Questions? Get in touch

If you have any questions about a car accident or any other topic, please feel free to contact us. We are happy to help.

We can be reached Monday through Friday between 08:00 and 18:00 at telephone number 088-6883700.

Contact us

We can be reached via Chat, Whatsapp, phone or email

Please feel free to contact us if you would like to know more.
We are here Monday to Friday from 08:00 to 18:00.

get in touch